For this year's staff picnic, I decided to make chocolate-covered bacon. It's actually really easy.
Choose whatever bacon and semi-sweet chocolate chips you like (Trader Joe's applewood smoked bacon and their chocolate chips worked really well).
- 1 lb bacon
- 1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cut the bacon strips into quarters, cook them until crispy (I used a cast-iron pan), then drain them on paper towels. Let them cool while you're melting the chocolate chips.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt the chips in the microwave at about 80% power for 1 minute. Stop and stir the chips. Cook at 20 second intervals until fully melted.
- Dip the bacon pieces in the melted chocolate. Because of the thickness, I ended up spreading the chocolate on each piece, covering about 2/3 on each side.
- Place each coated piece on wax paper. Let the chocolate harden.
- Store in the refrigerator. (But they won't last long!)
Note: It's much better when chilled. The flavor changes when the chocolate gets melty (which it did at the staff picnic).
Hope you enjoy this savory treat!